Live Free or Die

Monday, April 1, 2013

Early last week, Simon and I realized that we were craving a getaway. Usually, we try to do some weekend trips or mini-jaunts to get through the winter, but with most of our vacation days allocated to our blockbuster summer trip to Alaska, we've been sticking close to home. But lucky for us, Simon's mom was in town and willing to watch Merwin, so we booked a last minute trip into the White Mountains of New Hampshire this past weekend. Escaping is a beautiful thing and it was a lovely two days away!

Saturday seemed to bring the first real day of spring, even at higher elevation, and we took full advantage, trekking to two waterfalls relatively close to the Inn. "Diana's Bath" involved a bit of a "hike" which normally wouldn't have been a challenge but being the dopes we are, we sort of forgot that much of the wooded mountain areas would still be covered with snow. So we were clad in our sneakers which wasn't so convenient on the icy paths, but we made it, and it was worth the slipping and sliding! I thought it would be tough to beat, but Jackson Falls was even more lovely, and we took a brief nap on a flat rock jutting out over the water. Heavenly for the tail end of March.

I know it sounds cliche, but being in nature really makes me happy. I forget how much I need it and how for me, it really is one of the few ways I can truly relax.



2 comments:

  1. clearly I didn't check this earlier! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. clearly I didn't check this earlier! Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete