It's Here! Stitchfix #1!

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Having things to look forward to is really beneficial, whether it's a vacation or a cardboard box full of stuff at your doorstep. It's slightly embarrassing to admit how excited I was for my first Stitchfix. The box came last night, and although I had peeked at the details on my account page, they don't show photos, so I didn't really know what would be inside.

The box includes a little note from your stylist explaining her selections for you with some suggestions for how to wear each item. I received five pieces-- two tanks, a sweater, a pair of boot-cut jeans and as requested, a dress.

I dove in! Right on top was some yellow, my favorite! The 41Hawthorne sweater is a keeper. Slightly loose-fitting crewneck in navy and white stripe with a bright yellow block at the top. I tried it on with some dark skinnies and brown boots but think it will also be fantastic with white pants on cooler summer days.




Here's the rest of the loot. I have to admit, stylistically, these were right in tune with what I generally wear. Unfortunately, I quickly nixed the dress. Belted items are nearly impossible for me and this was a "fit and flare" dress that emphasized my crooked, muffin-top hips. I really loved it, but couldn't justify keeping it at $128 and a not entirely flattering fit. I'll spare you a photo.

That flowy embroidered top! So, so, so adorable! Sadly though, the arm holes are ginormous. While I think it looks cute, again, it's just not worth the price for something that didn't fit.  That brings me to my first (and basically only) complaint with the service. If a size doesn't work, you can't exchange for a new one because they have limited stock and can't handle adjustments. So I slipped the blouse into the return envelope and attempted to erase it from my brain.

The SOLD Design Lab Bootcut jeans are a perfect dark wash, but were some sort of weird pull-on style...no fly and super stretchy. I recently bought a pair of dark Red Engine jeans and just don't need another similar style.

Down to the last item! This black crochet tank is NICE. It has a slightly scooped neck and a relatively (ha!) flattering, slim fit. I really dig lace and crochet clothing and this definitely fits the bill. It'll be great with white jeans in summer and can easily be dressed up for the oodles of fancy parties I will inevitably attend in the near future. Cough. I kept it.

So all in all, I'm a sweater and tank top richer and $86 poorer, but boy, was the experience worth it. It's such a blast to get a little surprise box of goodies delivered to your door and so fun to uncover each item, mix and match it with clothes in your current wardrobe and go nuts. At every step of the way, Stitchfix welcomes feedback, so during the check out process, I was able to mention my issues with the dress and how with loose, flowy, blouses I typically wear a size smaller than with other tops. We'll see if they can incorporate that feedback into Fix #2, due to arrive March 26th!

In the meantime, I will work on a) taking better quality photos and b) avoiding this strange, thumbs-up pose.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot believe I forgot to ask you about this! LOVE the keepers! and keep the pose! (unless of course you are willing to replace it with photos of you in my favorite Dizzle pose - the car lot dancing man)

    ReplyDelete