Tidbits Of Happy

Wednesday, August 19, 2015



We were in Northern Wisconsin this past weekend reuniting with what I refer to as "the original lake." I grew up taking summer jaunts to Deep Wood Lake visiting my great aunt and oodles of extended family; I first sat up there (milestones people, milestones), learned to swim there, and while I likely fell in love with him much before then, a canoe ride with Simon clarified that feeling way back in 2004. This incredibly special place explains a lot of my infatuation with our Round Pond gem and the things these places can provide.

Anyhow, the point of my rambles is that while I was there, I was ambling through the books on an old shelf and picked up 14,000 Things To Be Happy About. Kind of silly, honestly, but at the same time, inspiring. The book was literally a list with entries ranging from "flannel sheets" to "strawberry ice cream" to "the Chicago Blackhawks" (vomit) to "making faces at the dog." Really ran the gamut but they all shared a specificity that made it a unique collection. It wasn't "love," "my dog," "rainbows." It was more than that.

I got to thinking that I wanted to try it - create a list of happiness tidbits. The process of articulating, compiling and re-reading those milliseconds would hopefully remind me of all those small slices to be savored as well as how to really savor them down the line. No idea what format it will take in the long run or if it will actually become practice, but I started. Try it!

Listening to The Writer's Almanac
Fresh zinnias on my desk
Water lapping at the dock
The dog's happy squeal dance
First sip of coffee
My parents' 43rd anniversary
Thinking of my niece flying a kite
When the plane touches down

No comments:

Post a Comment