Neither Here Nor There

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Neither Here Nor There
W.S. Merwin

An airport is nowhere
which is not something
generally noticed

yet some unnamed person in the past
deliberately planned it

and you have spent time there
again
for something you have done
which you do not entirely remember
like the souls in Purgatory

you sit there in the smell
of what passes for food
breathing what is called air
while the timepieces measure
their agreement

you believe in it
while you are there
because you are there
sometimes you may even feel happy
to be that far on your way
to somewhere

These days, I am neither here nor there. I bet everyone feels that, but lately it seems to be a prevailing emotion in Kelly la la land. I don't feel like I belong where I am or that I'll belong wherever I am going. I can't even tell you where I'm going. Not because it's some top-secret government destination with an unmarked door at the foot of a cave but because I have no idea. Maybe this is it, just this right here. And like the narrator says there are so many moments of happiness and meaning in the now that this could be it all. But really? Could that be IT for the rest of forever? There's more to say but I don't feel like saying it. Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment