Notes From The Travel Journal--North Coast 500 Part Three

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

We've had a lot of deadlines at work so my recent writing has taken the form of grants instead of blog updates. Alas. Let's wrap up this road trip, shall we? As per usual with my travel blogs, we're already a month after our return so recapping is a memory challenge and I fear I lost my 0 followers. Let's see how it goes.

Our driving days after leaving Torridon were spectacular and generally filled with lovely hikes, surprisingly Carribbean-esque beaches, delicious food and friendly hosts. Highlights included a death defying (slight exaggeration) climb up Knockan Crag where we were serenaded by two passing fighter jets. I dove for useless cover next to a boulder and Simon attempted to snap a picture of the pilots. We were both rattled by the close encounter but apparently they often use the valleys and mountains to practice their flying. But the views once we made it to the top were worth every second of edge and jet-induced fright.

Onward to some beachside treks, cave explorations, countless beautiful views and a celebratory bottle of champagne in honor of our 8th wedding anniversary, all before heading to our final NC500 stop, John O'Groats, the northeastern most tip of Great Britain.

I know I always rave about our travels, but I really can't recommend this journey highly enough. The scenery is out of this world and the Scottish people in the Highlands were all so welcoming, accommodating, and seemingly genuinely interested in supporting tourism. They were also fascinated by our current election; as two of few Americans we found along the route, it was the first topic of conversation with the Scots. Regardless, I give a ginormous stamp of approval to the North Coast 500. In order to wrap this up before really wrapping it up with a glimpse of Edinburgh, here are some more of the hundreds of photos we snapped along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment