Nature Fiesta

Saturday, September 9, 2017

I don't know if it's because the typical post-Labor Day exodus of humans around the lake made more space available for wildlife, but this past week was exceptional for creature viewing. Merwin chased a raccoon up a tree (and very nearly snagged a mouthful of fur), the bald eagle swooped in for a landing on one of our trees (I observed him from a few feet away, glimpsing the all-American splendor of an eagle pooping), the hummingbird nearly buzzed my face with his supersonic wings, and the loons have graced the lake and airwaves with their beauty more languidly and fully than when they were in competition with jetskis.

Naturally, I tried to capture all of this on camera. I was too awed by the eagle to reach for my phone, but I couldn't resist taking a snap of the poor raccoon clinging to the tree trunk. Combined with some truly spectacular sunsets over the past two weeks, this ease into fall isn't quite as challenging as it usually is. I suppose it helps that the words "The Nutcracker, "annual appeal," and "grant proposal" are no longer part of my daily vernacular. 

No comments:

Post a Comment