Into The Woods

Tuesday, September 29, 2020



As if we weren't already in the woods! But we drove north yesterday for a quick trip into the White Mountains. It seemed to be peak fall foliage there and "we" wanted to get back into that hiking life "we" has briefly embraced while prepping for our 2017 trek in Patagonia. My hesitancy stemmed mostly from an anxiety-laden combination of being massively out of shape, having some sort of lung "damage" from whatever illness I experienced in March, getting "old," and honestly, being a little afraid. So yeah, I was so excited, ha!

But it was beautiful. Don't get me wrong, in the moment, I hated a lot of it, likely because it was so physically difficult (and shouldn't have been) and I was unnecessarily terrified of getting down. I struggled much of the way up and honestly, was pretty miserable. The climb took us over roots, rocks, and some pine needle paths winding up Potash Mountain through some primarily green beech-heavy forest, then a pine forest, and finally up to the scrubbier mountain top. 

Holy moly, gorgeous views in all directions with stunning foliage. We sat for a quick lunch and rest then made our way down. The hiking poles were key there and it was easier than I anticipated. All told, 4 miles round trip and about 1,300 feet in elevation change on the way up. Despite the beauty of it all, I'm still processing my reactions. I'll get back to you on that.



No comments:

Post a Comment