A Look See

Monday, November 7, 2011

On the way to work I realized that every day on my trip to the office, I don't really look at anything.  I see the brick sidewalk, storefronts, the guy filling my mug at the coffee shop, others who are hustling to work like me, but I don't really look.  Today I glanced up and there was the the day.  Its palette was golden--bursts of oranges and reds in trees contrasted against a classic fall blue sky.  The sun was bright, but almost leaned like a late summer afternoon gently tinging everything in warm yellow.  I liked it and thought to myself, "Wow, I should look at this more often."  After all, the apocalypse is on its way.  More probable is the idea that winter is approaching and looking around will freeze my eyeballs.  Either way, any way, we need to enjoy it while we can.

Turning
W.S. Merwin

Going too fast for myself I missed
more than I think I can remember

almost everything it seems sometimes
and yet there are chances that come back

that I did not notice where they stood
where I could have reached out and touched them

this morning the black shepherd dog
still young looking up and saying

Are you ready this time?

No comments:

Post a Comment