Ranting and Raving

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Facebook is designed to share tidbits of your life with the masses. Yes, you can selectively chose who sees your tidbits, but put it up there, and it is out there. Similarly, this blog could in theory, be viewed by anyone. Of course, to come across it you'd have to google something like "W.S. Merwin and dogs named Merwin" or "poetry and dog obsessions: is this a disease?" I love my "fan base" but doubt anyone seeks out this insanity.

But back to Facebook. On Facebook, you can "tag" people in your post which both adds it to their feed, but also lets everyone know you're with them, talking about them, etc. Their friends can now see the post, increasing its exposure. Perfectly acceptable versions of utilizing this tool include things like "Loving this hike up Everest with Ruppert Jones" or "Sure wish Gertrude Flabberknocken would pick up donut holes on her way over."

Unacceptable uses of this blow my mind. This is what I mean:

"Wishing my husband Stanley Cupp a beautiful and romantic anniversary today. Four years ago, I stood at the altar and made the most important promise of my life. It seems like I have known you forever and you are the best thing that ever happened to me. I just can't imagine life without you. I love you more than you know and wish we were back in Bora Bora sipping gin and juice."

So here's the thing. I understand being pumped it is your wedding anniversary, but why would you broadcast your happy anniversary message to your husband across all of Facebook? I would get posting a message like "It's our anniversary! Let us eat cake!" or "Yay! Four years ago today I got hitched!" but why, why, why address it to your husband and tag your seemingly private message to him if it's totally public?!!?!? I just don't get it. Someone enlighten me!!!!!

Oh, and Simon, happy anniversary.

1 comment:

  1. No need to get "it"! You're just not a 'reality cyberspace'
    Kind of Gal. I love you, just the way you are, enlightened in your privacy. And way cool classy too!

    ReplyDelete