Shameless(ful) Plug

Monday, January 14, 2013

It has always been challenging to come up with good present ideas for the hubs. He's a boy, which instantly makes it more difficult, but he also perpetually asks for things like socks, underwear and grocery store gift cards. As you can imagine, I have to get creative. This Christmas was no exception but unlike years past, I'm relatively pleased with the results of my sweat and tears (yes, there were tears).

Simon's office relocated and it was clear that he needed some cheer on his new walls. I wanted to create a piece of "art" but am not exactly artistic. I was also desperate to incorporate maps, as over the 8 years that we've been together, we've developed a nice little roster of travel destinations. What to do?

So after torturing numerous people with questions, problems, and crafting queries, I decided to make 16 maps that could be assembled into a grid for his wall. They would be mounted on thick wood squares to provide a little depth. With the help of some map-finding elves, a serious jar of mod podge, and a little patience, I finally had a gift that was hopefully more exciting than a week's worth of milk and eggs.

Done and done!
Places!

1 comment:

  1. What I find most exciting about this installation
    (oh and by the way I think you are very artistic!)
    is the way you can change the grid daily if you like. Can pause at each little snapshot map of your amazingly big adventures and move them around.
    Your boy hub is a lucky guy!

    Now, what about those lights?

    ReplyDelete