How To Make "Birthday Signs"

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

If I remember correctly, "the birthday signs" originated for my mom's birthday many years ago. I would make 10-20 mini birthday posters and slap them on the walls for some cheery wishes spread throughout the house. Actually, I think she still has a few hanging in her closet from decades ago. Aww!

Now they are a bit more complicated. For starters, there are fewer and they each attempt to capture an interest or hobby of the recipient while incorporating a birthday wish. Planning and designing these things is seriously one of my favorite activities. I get to ponder the birthday boy or girl, thinking about their interests, their passions and their favorite things then figure out how to translate those onto a piece of paper. It's the closest I come to being creative and it really is a blast.

I only mention this because I really think anyone could do it! It's a fun way to honor a birthday and also a fun way to get in a little therapeutic crafting. Here's how it goes down. 

I start by making a list of things that the person likes, memories we have together, etc. For my mom, it would be tennis, bowling, flowers, her Grand-dog, and pancakes. For my friend Melissa, it was bunnies, her Siberian husky, bumblebees and owls while Simon was all about fantasy baseball, the Cardinals, the lake, Merwin and his stupid sunglasses. You get the picture.

I use regular old copy paper, construction paper, a good set of markers, and some glue. Sketch out the designs (don't hesitate to use the web to lend a hand...I'm not ashamed to trace some print outs or sometimes even incorporate the actual clip art onto the poster). Add some color and voila - birthday cheer! Might not be the most professional looking things, but I say it's the thoughtfulness that counts.

1 comment: