Curating

Tuesday, March 24, 2015



I used to collect chapsticks when I was younger. Mostly Lip Smackers - remember those? At one point I had over 45 flavors ranging from Dr. Pepper to Pina Colada to Candy Cane. There was something so satisfying in selecting new ones and watching the stash grow. Oh to be 10 again.

I have no idea where they all ended up, but yesterday I came across another "stash." I happened to pick up an old journal that covered 2002 to 2012 (egads). I started thumbing through and realized that in addition to yammering on and on about who knows what, I was also collecting poems I liked. They were literally pasted inside the book, scrawled between the lines, or chopped into a tiny piece of paper and wedged inside. It was great to revisit them, reread them, and rediscover why I had pulled them in the first place.

This blog is a poetry curation of sorts too. Instead of hand writing poems into a journal, I've got almost 70 poems stored here. It's kind of neat to scroll through a gathering of things I hand-selected for one reason or another. Lazy man's creativity I guess. It's progress from the Lip Smackers phase...

No comments:

Post a Comment