Walkers, Runners, Changemakers

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

 
Whew, the last few days I've been inspired by the power of people and what they are capable of, both individually and collectively. We headed down to Rhode Island Friday evening for Providence's Walk MS, an annual tradition for our buddies and one we started participating in last year. The walk was on Sunday, the most perfect sunny, bright, and blue-skied day for a four-mile stroll through Federal Hill (I may be totally wrong about that because, as normal, I actually have no idea where we were). For the most part, I tend to be skeptical of people's ability to actually care, but boy, was this experience a direct challenge to that notion. So many people who were so clearly passionate about the cause and willing to spend their day trying to contribute to change. Something about the size of the group and the power of these people coming together really made me feel happy and hopeful.

And then yesterday I watched 30,000 human beings challenge themselves to run 26.2 miles in the Boston Marathon, a thing that in itself is entrenched in emotion and passion. A friend who ran her very first steps just over a year ago ran the entire race in support of charity. Millions of dollars were raised by similar runners participating to achieve a feat most of us never do, but also to make Boston a better place not just for themselves, but for everyone. I'm amazed at all of them. And as usual, I felt a millisecond desire to take up running. Then myself chuckled at myself and I settled back onto the couch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment