Adventures In Politics

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

This year's presidential election and primary have garnered my interest more than any from the past. Perhaps it is the ridiculousness of it, my raised awareness of certain issues, or maybe just living in NH, where the eyes of the country first focus during primary season. Whatever the reason, I've been into it. I waffled from Bernie to Hillary to disgruntlement with all the choices but one thing is certain. I despise Trump. He disgusts me on a level I never knew was possible. That's another post. Today's is about attending Hillary's event over at the Portsmouth High School. Bernie recently jumped on board and it was very clear that he would endorse her officially at the rally. Simon and I hadn't attended anything related to the race yet and knew this could be our best opportunity to see Hillary and - bonus - hear Bernie.

We headed over around 8:30 and stood in an enormously long, sun-soaked line for a few hot hours. We were pretty certain we wouldn't be allowed in given the quantity of people ahead of us but alas, we made it through. We scanned for seats on the gym bleachers before realizing that we could stand dead center, just a few rows back from the podium!

It was awesome! Hearing these two in person was really inspiring. I never imagined that I would stand that close to a future president (cross your fingers) and it was a pretty surreal experience. Whatever your opinion, I think it's important to be active and take advantage of things like this when they are right in your backyard. 

1 comment: