Book Report - Her Royal Spyness Series

Wednesday, July 27, 2016


As you may recall, I recently deviated from my modus operandi of the past 6.5 years and abandoned post-apocalyptic literature. I'm not sure why I can't be a normal person and pick up various types of books here and there, but no, I am already deeply ensconced in two new but related genres: historical mystery and historical romance. Don't judge my fascination with tales of British aristocracy...lords and ladies of the mid 1800's through the Downton Abbey era of the early 1900s. Romances, murders, mysteries, you name it, if there are dukes and earls, I'm into it.

I especially like when I find a series. This both limits the amount of time spent searching for more tales of royalty and also creates a nice arc of relationships among the characters, particularly enjoyable if there is a clever little romance threading from book to book.

I'm loving the Royal Spyness series by Rhys Bowen. It's a slightly implausible set of cozy mysteries where the main character Georgiana is 34th in line for the throne and the Queen enlists her to help with various tasks, usually inadvertently resulting in her investigating one murder or another. Her love interest Darcy appears in each book and though it seems to take ages for their relationship to gain traction, it's nice to see that develop from book to book. There are currently 9 books in the series with the next installment due out August 1. All in all, this has proven to be one of my favorite series of late, and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment