When The Raft Comes In...

Monday, September 12, 2016

...you know summer is truly over. We pulled our floating raft to shore this weekend but not before soaking up the dwindling summer rays on a last sunny afternoon. Even once we had grunted it onto the sand, we lounged on the raft Sunday afternoon after a storm passed and the sun emerged. Can't let it go I guess.

End of summer is always slightly melancholy, but instead of pondering the end, I should reflect on an amazing summer of happy guests, excellent weather, and the surprising realization that despite trepidation in early May, this summer managed to be better than the last. This past weekend was our first since mid-July without friends coming to stay so we cleaned up the shoreline, power washed the deck in advance of a fresh coat of paint (cross your fingers for color success...third time's the charm!), and did a heavy indoor cleaning. The start of school also brings an end to the power boats, jet skis and live-free-or-die target practice as well as the return of the great blue heron and two massive bald eagles stalking the pesky ducks. There is beauty in endings I suppose.

As you can tell, I find it a bit hard to let summer go. Every year, I marvel that season transitions are so difficult for me. After all, it happens every year and I've had plenty of years to practice. Not to mention we all have to face it. Just another example of how change just isn't my thing

No comments:

Post a Comment