Reflections On Change

Thursday, August 28, 2014

We represent a gamut of responses to change in our household. Simon is the most open--he loves that every day is different at his new job, is always willing to try new things, and never seems to be tied to the comfortability of routine. I often want something different but have a hard time in the process toward change. Even going on vacation. I'll look forward to it for months, get all bent out of shape the day before we leave and dread the impending disruption, then of course, be despondent on the plane ride home. A walking contradiction (as I'm sure most of us are). 

Merwin, on the other hand, is truly a creature of habit. We've found that, probably like most dogs, he is most well-behaved and happy when he has a routine. He has been a mess the past two weeks as his entire little universe gets packed into boxes. Luckily, he is being rescued today by his good friend Cocker Spaniel Suzie (and her parents) who are going to pick him up and whisk him off to Round Pond, where we will meet him after the movers work their magic tomorrow.

We took our last walk this morning and he was quite the sniffer. I don't feel that tied to our apartment or the neighborhood but seeing him tromp down the sidewalks and nose around his favorite spots made me a little sentimental. In his life with us, he has known only this place as home. I wonder what he is thinking. Perhaps the anxiety that I imagine he has is really my own as we launch toward this change.

No comments:

Post a Comment