Limpy, Gimpy and A Dog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Ew
The three of us are a picture to behold.  Over the weekend, Simon may have broken his toe.  Some background is required.  I have known Simon for almost 8 years, 7 of which were spent in New York City.  Over those 7 years, he never required stitches or treatment for a broken bone.  Prior to those 7 years, he never experienced a broken bone or needed stitches (not counting his emergency appendectomy in Costa Rica).  Within the first 8 months of living in Boston we were required to make two ER visits. On the first trip, he broke his pinky finger (playing kickball...don't ask).  On the second trip, he slashed his thumb (also the left hand) washing dishes (aww) and now, it seems as though he fractured his toe.  Toes are a bit different than fingers and the doctor advised letting it heal without an ER intervention, so we avoided another journey to the hospital.

I've taken up "running" and what that translates into is that a week ago, I jogged four times.  Probably about 5-10 minutes.  I trained as a ballet dancer so running, endurance activities, and other types of fitness are foreign and generally undesirable.  However I really started to enjoy it.  This week, my knee is really killing me, so I'm limping around, Simon is limping around, and even Merwin has had it rough, receiving three vaccinations at the vet last night.  So we're taking things slow and if all goes according to plan, will heal up quickly.  As my dad always says "it could be worse."  Much worse. 

Troubled Woman
Langston Hughes

She stands
In the quiet darkness,
This troubled woman
Bowed by
Weariness and pain
Like an
Autumn flower
In the frozen rain,
Like a
Wind-blown autumn flower
That never lifts its head
Again.

No comments:

Post a Comment