Memories of Paradise

Monday, August 22, 2011

Vacations sure are amazing and returning from them sure is awful.  I got back from a really wonderful time in Wisconsin late last night while Simon, Merwin and my mom are currently en route home.

After spending time there almost every summer since I was born, I really do believe that Deep Wood Lake is paradise.  Memories range from painting rocks (then subsequently trying to sell them to relatives), oodles of cousins, second cousins, and cousins once removed (most of us are completely unsure of exactly how we are related), and even a canoe ride 7 years ago that showed me how happy I could be.

Our week was full of morning walks around the lake, daily swims, sunset cocktails, delicious dinners, and board game after board game.  And Merwin got to run around the lake, chase tennis balls, and romp around the property with my aunt's springer spaniel, Jack.  He spent the entire week covered in burrs and dirt, but seemed to love every minute of it.

We also learned he really doesn't like to swim.  After days of trying to coax him into the water with treats or his tennis ball, we finally loaded him into a canoe with my brother, curious how he would react to at least being on the water. 
He made a quick exit.  Apparently, he doesn't like boating (or maybe my brother) but at least we learned he knows how to swim.

But for now it's back to the routine and we'll do our best to recall brilliant oranges and reds glimmering on the lake at sunset, waking to the sounds of loons calling, and the bliss of being surrounded by nature at its best.

No comments:

Post a Comment