Life 101

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I took Merwin on a walk this morning and we found ourselves strolling around the Tufts campus.  It is definitely freshmen move-in day; lots of cars loaded to the gills with stuff, nervous parents hovering uncertainly, and cops directing traffic around the dorms.  Made me think "It wasn't so long ago that my parents and I pulled up to South Dorm at Hamilton for my freshman year."  But then I realized it actually was a long time ago--13 years!  So my brain went into overdrive trying to comprehend what happened in those 13 years.  Where did they go?  Is that just how it is?  Days, weeks, months and years disappear without you even noticing that they're gone, used up, never to get them back? I suppose it's a pretty basic concept, but it might be worth a pause. 

And in other news, our office is having a problem with mice.  Therefore, the below poem provides a nice double whammy.  Enjoy.

Untitled
Ezra Pound

And the days are not full enough
And the nights are not full enough
And life slips by like a field mouse
      Not shaking the grass.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Don't Go brought big tears to my eyes and then this little mouse...phew emotional roller coaster ride. I LOVE this new project of yours! and....can't wait to play some games soon.

    ReplyDelete