Notes From The Travel Journal - West Coast Jaunt Part Two

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

We drove east from 60 degree Carmel to temps over 107 as we passed through Fresno (my first In and Out Burger experience - thumbs up) and onward to the entrance of King's Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. The ascent began! It kept going! We headed off the main road and were climbing a one-lane dirt path that clung to the side of the mountain before emerging at the campsite parking lot. Then we hefted our backpacks (mine was itty bitty while Simon carried all of my stuff) and made the one-mile hike to the actual wedding. We huffed and puffed our way to the top and emerged at a stunning overlook from where we stood at 9,000 feet altitude. Unreal.

I was immensely proud of the fact that we had hiked in. Turns out that most fellow wedding goers got a lift up to the site with their gear. We're hardcore! But I actually really enjoyed it. Maybe we could make it on a camping trip after all. If real camping includes a sweet tent room with actual beds, snuggly Woolrich blankets, delicious prepared meals, and bathroom facilities with super hot showers. Not standard I take it.

The bride is seriously a superhero. I've known this from the first time I met her as part of the tiny dance company I was part of in New York City, but this wedding further proved it. How she convinced a DJ and florist to haul their gear all the way up a mountain is beyond me, much less how she masterfully orchestrated the complicated logistics of 120 guests at this type of once in a lifetime event. It was all amazing. And catching up with these ladies from my NYC days was a really, really great time.

After the truly spectacular wedding, we climbed down the mountain and headed back to San Fran for a great catch-up dinner with my buddy Jess before boarding a plane east the next morning. A whirlwind adventure full of gorgeous vistas and QT with some great people!


No comments:

Post a Comment