The Allure of the Dark

Friday, September 9, 2011

Like many people (or maybe I just tell myself that so I don't feel so strange), I'm more interested in "dark" works of art rather than things with a lighter or even comical focus.  Literature, dance, poetry, opera--you name it, I prefer it in its tragic form.  What really gets me is poetry that explores the ultimate in dark themes but also provides a glimmer of something lighter, often simply and subtly.  Merwin has dozens of works that demonstrate this dynamic, but this one by Edwin Morgan, a Scottish poet who passed away last year, has been one of my favorites for a long time. 

When You Go
Edwin Morgan

When you go,
if you go,
and I should want to die,
there's nothing I'd be saved by
more than the time
you fell asleep in my arms
in a trust so gentle
I let the darkening room
drink up the evening, till
rest, or the new rain
lightly roused you awake.
I asked if you heard the rain in your dream
and half dreaming still you only said, I love you.

2 comments:

  1. I don't understand why you're attracted to "dark" art, especially knowing your personality. Your favorite color is yellow and you're upbeat, fun and have a great sense of humor. So why the "dark"? Only thing I can figure is you are subconsciously trying to balance your mind so latch on to the dark to balance the light.
    Interesting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange, right? I have a great sense of humor?! :)

    ReplyDelete