Boston vs. New York, Round 1

Thursday, September 15, 2011

This matchup probably requires a multitude of posts, but I was reminded of some dueling cities similarities yesterday when walking from my office to the subway...oops, sorry, I mean "the T."  A homeless man complimented me on my necklace and we exchanged a bit of conversation  before I was on my way.

The interaction led me to recall an experience in New York, where homelessness seems more prevalent and also more pronounced.  Here in Boston, or at least in Harvard Square, I find myself wondering if the people asking for money are actually just conducting a crowd mentality study for Harvard or are motivated by something other than just trying to live.  I guess that is based on appearances, which I should know by now is never the way to draw any conclusions.  But anyway, I remember riding the subway home to Brooklyn one night after work and subsequently writing a response in poetry form.

On the F Train to Brooklyn

a man is marooned on an island
of orange and yellow plastic seats
bordered by suits and heels
who eye the laceless sneakers
caked with creases
and try to shrink their way
to the other end of the car.

I have nothing.
Spare some change?
 
I have nothing
echoes
off rows of brownstones
whose windows
checkerboard the night with yellow lights
and whose radiators
harmonize warmth.

I have nothing
follows me up the steps
and into arms
that send the fall chill
puddling to the floor.

I have nothing
tucks the quilt
tightly around me

nearly choking.

3 comments:

  1. Your poem strikes to the core of my being, Human!
    While on my way to Fresh Pond to walk Merwin I ponder the homeless, the unemployed, people who are suffering. How come? There are always folks positioned with signs asking for $$$ at the red lights. I remember a NY times article that documented panhandlers and how some of them make up to $40,000 - $50,000 a year. I've settled my questioning brain & opening heart with an in the moment approach. Not judging for all...even the Harvard crowd mentality seekers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was this poem originally called "Panhandler" and then given a different title (for the better)? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, was Panhandler! My poetry workshop made fun of me for using an "outdated" word.

    ReplyDelete