Fading Summer

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Officially it doesn't end for a few more days, but with Labor Day behind us and white pants in storage until May, it certainly seems like summer is gone.  Dusk is my favorite time of day and even though it's coming earlier now, the fading golden light and crisp air make for some excellent evenings.

Late afternoon on the Charles River in Boston


Memory of Summer Facing West
W.S. Merwin

Sheep and rocks drifting together before sunset
late birds rowing home across bright spaces
shadows stroking the long day above the earth
wild voices high and far-carrying
at sun's descent toward ripening grain

1 comment:

  1. How funny! As I put away my clothes this
    morning I thought about the white pants I was
    holding in my hand and the after labor day
    putting away!
    I think I just may wear my white pants this week and chuckle to myself!

    ReplyDelete